Sandstone Way cycle route
Experience the far north of England’s beautiful landscapes as you travel down the Sandstone Way Cycle Route. Enjoy lovely scenery as you cycle 120 miles south from Berwick to Hexham.
How challenging is the Sandstone Way?
The Sandstone Way can be cycled over a weekend. This route is ideal for novice cyclists. It combines dirt tracks, bridleways and byways linking to minor roads. The journey will take you through many picturesque towns and villages, allowing you to experience Northumberland’s hidden beauty and local life. Build your cycling skills and gain the confidence needed to challenge yourself further on future rides.
On this self-guided tour, you will be provided with the necessary GPS information and maps to get you to the finish line safely and efficiently. Should you come across any unpredictable circumstances or you simply take a wrong turn, just give us a call on the number provided and we will be able to offer support and the guidance needed to get you back on track.
The beauty of a self-guided tour is that you can go completely at your own pace. Stop off and explore the cultural, historical and geological riches the Sandstone Way has to offer.
You’ll start your adventure in fascinating Berwick-Upon-Tweed, along the dirt tracks that line the stunning cliff tops along the seafront. The route then leads across the minor roads above, still showcasing the magnificent views of the North Sea, before heading down into the countryside.
Take time to enjoy the ‘Gateway to the Cheviots’ – the attractive, stone-built town of Wooler. Travelling on through the traditional market town of Rothbury, you will pass by Brinkburn Priory. Built in the 12th century, the priory is a lovely example of early-Gothic architecture in a picturesque spot.
You’ll continue your adventure through Northumberland National Park – full of wild, natural beauty and voted top UK national park in 2021 by Which? magazine’s readers.
The pretty country town of Bellingham offers a good opportunity to stretch your legs. Take a 2.5 mile walk to a magnificent, 30-foot waterfall called Hareshaw Linn.
From Bellingham to the recommended stop point of Biddlestone it’s a further 2 hour cycle.
The final leg of the adventure includes tricky grass hills, followed by steep twisting roads and plenty of off road cycling. The path then leads back on-road and into the historic town of Hexham where you will finish your journey.
This tour usually takes place over the weekend, but if you would prefer to do a midweek trip then please do get in touch and we’ll be happy to help you. If you want to make design your own bike tour entirely, we can also help to make that happen.
What We Can Offer
- Bike transfer from Tynemouth or Newcastle Central Station to Berwick-Upon-Tweed to start your trip (other pick up locations available on request)
- All baggage transfers between accommodation
- Route Maps and GPX file
- List of bike shops and places to visit en-route
- Phone support available from 7am to 10pm daily
- Emergency support – to help you in your moment of need
- Transfer from Hexham to Newcastle at the end of the experience
- Transfer for riders and bikes to your home or accommodation
- Views of Sandstone Crag in Kyloe Woods and the outcrop of St Cuthbert’s cave
- A gentle climb onto artillery-scattered moorland before reaching Rothbury
- Travel through quaint villages, historic market towns and bustling cities
Why Choose This Route?
- Varied terrain along its whole length offering a great contrast for newer cyclists
- Exciting loops and more challenging lines veering further into the Northumberland National Park
- Beauty spots along the route with time to explore at your leisure
Sandstone Way Accommodation
We’ve been delivering cycle adventure packages for over a decade and know our stuff.
For non-corporate clients, we are happy to give recommendations for accommodation that you can book direct. Our friendly team are always happy to share their local knowledge – from where to stay to where to eat.
For corporate clients, we offer a full package service including accommodation bookings. You can rely on us as a business that works with some of the largest employers in the North East.
If you would like to know more about Ecocabs Cycles’ corporate packages, please see here.