Coast to Coast Cycling Package
Ecocabs Cycles’ C2C service is located in the heart of stunning Northumberland. Our Hexham base is approximately halfway along the Coast to Coast – one of the UK’s most beautiful and historic cycling routes.
The world-famous C2C can be challenging, but rest assured that our team have decades of experience in transporting bikes. We can assist in all aspects of planning your adventure to maximise your enjoyment along this iconic trail. We have over a decade of experience in delivering Coast to Coast cycling packages.
How long is the C2C?
The C2C cycle route is 137 miles. It can take anywhere between one and five days to complete.
It’s the most popular cycling route in the UK and is also said to be the most difficult. That being said, any experienced cyclist – with a decent level of fitness and the will to push on up a handful of steep hills for a mile or two – can ride it. Imagine the feeling of triumph at the end!
This rewarding ‘bucket list’ trail takes you across the breadth of Britain – from west to east. There is a tradition to dip your toes before starting, in the Irish Sea, then again when you finish, in the North Sea. You can also dip your bike wheels instead!
What is C2C bike route like?
The first few miles of the trail follows a well made surface path that will gently ease you into your rhythm for the day. Quiet lanes follow an old railway line, passing small, chocolate-box villages and sculptured bridges.
As you follow the path down the bridleways towards the Lake District, you will be able to take in the immense views of the rugged fell mountains. These provide a stunning backdrop for the 16 lakes, including the beautiful Lake Windermere.
There are plenty of picturesque and private locations for photographs, a picnic or breather along the way. The terrain is mainly rolling, but the first major climb to Whinlatter Pass awaits – before you begin to wind your way down through the Thornthwaite Forest and into the iconic market town of Keswick.
You can decide whether to travel on or off road for the next few miles through the Eden Valley; cycling through lush green countryside, traditional towns, and attractive sandstone villages – before reaching the most mountainous part of the route.
The first and steepest to encounter is Hartside, from where there are magnificent views across the Solway Firth to Scotland. If the 580m Hartside climb wasn’t challenging enough, you will soon reach the highest part of the C2C on the Black Hill – 609m above sea level.
Pedal down Waskerley Way to undertake your journey towards the more industrial landscapes of the east coast. The section rewards you with awe inspiring views of sweeping moorland and travel down largely traffic-free roads.
The final leg of the journey is predominantly flat and comfortably metropolitan with fine views across the River Wear.
What Our Cost to Coast Cycle Package Can Offer
- Bike transfer from Tynemouth or Newcastle Central Station to Whitehaven Harbour to start your trip (other pick up locations available on request)
- All baggage transfers between accommodation
- Route Maps and GPX file
- List of bike shops and places to visit en-route
- Phone support available from 7am to 10pm daily
- Emergency support – to help you in your moment of need
- Transfer from Tynemouth to Newcastle at the end of the experience
- Transfer for riders and bikes to your home or accommodation
- Ride from coast to coast on an iconic route
- Travel through quaint villages, historic market towns and bustling cities
- Experience unspoiled Northumberland landscapes, taking in some of the most dramatic and wild countryside in England
- Enjoy the view and a well-earned rest at the top of Hartside Pass
- Experience the wild, unspoiled and remote Northern Pennines
- Conquer the challenging hills and reap the rewards of the exhilarating descents
Why Choose This Route?
- The most popular long-distance cycling route in the UK, on most cyclist’s bucket lists – challenge and reward in equal measure
- The route travels through a variety of landscapes, offering alternate paths depending on fitness levels
- Numerous interesting places to visit and stay on the route – there’s the option to cycle at a leisurely pace over more days
We offer a full package service – including accommodation booking – for corporate clients. If you would like to know more about Ecocabs Cycles’ bike event packages, please see here.
For non-corporate clients, we are happy to share our recommendations for accommodation taking into account your planned daily mileage.
- Shortly Bridge
- Rowlands Gill